Saturday, July 21, 2012

Treble Clef Putt-Putt


Here's a fun station for students to go to that helps with note identification in the treble clef staff.  This game, (much like Ping-Pong Rhythms) was designed because my husband had this automatic putting system that was not in use.  (A Father's Day gift from me. Opps!)  Anyway, I was looking at this putting green trying to figure out how I could use it in my classroom and came up with this game.




First and foremost, it must be noted that I have been using this game in class for about 5 years (3rd grade & older for review), and prior to explaining how to play the game to the class, we discuss safety.  We talk about how this is not a "Tiger Woods Monster Drive", but a simple putt.  The kids giggle and then the game instructions continue.

music class ideas - music games  

To play the game, there are 10 golf balls with the a variety of treble clef staff notes written on them.  One ball has the word, "wild" on it.  These balls are placed in a bag and the first player with their eyes closed, takes out a golf ball from the bag.  While showing the golf ball to the other players, the student who picked the ball tells the group the name of the note.  If the student is correct, they then have a chance to putt the ball into the hole.  I have included a treble clef staff on the front of the instructions for the students to refer to if they get stuck and I ask that the kids help each other to learn the notes so that everyone is able to putt.  

music class ideas - music games

If the student makes the putt, the score keeper will give that student 1 point for that round.  If the student misses the putt, the score keeper will put a 0 for that round.  Sometimes a student is very lucky and retrieves the "wild" ball from the bag.  The student would automatically get 1 point for picking that ball and then has a chance to putt.  If they make it into the hole, they would then receive a total of 2 points for that round.  At the end of 10 rounds, the student with the highest score is the winner.

2 comments:

  1. Where did you buy the golf set? I have been trying to find an inexpensive one!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..I bought it about 5 years ago as a gift for my husband and young boys, so I can't seem to remember where I purchased it from. I do remember buying the golf club (cut to kid-like size) at a thrift store. I wonder if maybe using styrofoam and green felt might work. You would not have a ball return, but I think the students would be fine taking the ball out of the hole. That might be cheaper than purchasing a golf putting office set.

      Good luck and happy teaching!

      Delete